The Dragoons at Fort
Tejon patrolled a wide area and had many responsibilities.
They settled disputes involving Indians in the Tule and
Kern River districts. They toured the Owens Valley, the
San Gabriel Valley, and Mojave River country to "overawe" the
Indians of those regions and to protect the miners and
prospectors. In 1858 a small subpost was established at
San Bernardino, and in 1860, Camp Cady (downstream from
present day Daggett on the Mojave River) was manned for
a time by Dragoons from Fort Tejon. The Dragoons were even
sent to Los Angeles on occasion to maintain order there.
In June 1861, despite protests from local ranchers, the
Dragoons were transferred away from Fort Tejon, and with
their departure the civilian population melted away overnight.