On August 14, 1861 the State of California was asked to furnish
three regiments of infantry by the Lincoln Administration in its efforts
to quell the secessionist serpent in the South. The 2nd California Volunteer
Infantry was formed among these units. Colonel Francis J. Lippitt was
appointed as commander of the Regiment.
The regiment was organized at the Presidio in San Francisco and, after completing
its organization, five companies were sent to Northern
California, Oregon, and Washington Territory to relieve
regular troops, and two companies were sent to Santa Barbara.
Company B of the 2nd
Regt. had arrived at Fort Tejon from Visalia one day ahead
of Company G
Companies D and G of the 2nd California Cavalry had
been garrisoned as early as July 1863.
In command of
the fort was Capt. James M. Ropes of the 2nd Cal. Cav.,
Upon the arrival of Company G, 2nd Infantry,
Capt. John C. Schimdt of the 2nd Cal. Cav. assumed
command on January 15, 1864. The next day, Companies
D and G of the 2nd Cal. Cav. left Fort Tejon for Camp
Babbitt. As the two Infantry
companies settled into their new home, their time
was occupied at repairing and maintaining the Fort's
buildings that had fallen into disrepair during the
two years that the post had been abandoned. There
were frequent patrols mounted from the fort to keep
track of unruly whites and to maintain control over
the Pauites encamped near the post.
There were always
duties to perform in garrison relating to maintenance
of the troops. There was wood to be hauled and cut,
rations to be prepared, inspections and endless drills
on the parade ground. Company G would leave Fort
Tejon on June 4, 1864 for Drum Barracks in Willmington.
Fort Tejon would finally be closed when Company B
left September 11, 1864, ending the military occupation
of the post, lasting from 1854 to 1864